Explore Amazon’s Sustainability Data Initiative (ASDI) and the AWS Data Exchange to come up with solutions that contribute toward one of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
The Amazon Sustainability Data Initiative (ASDI) seeks to accelerate sustainability research and innovation by minimizing the cost and time required to acquire and analyze large sustainability datasets. ASDI provides access to petabytes of sustainability data hosted on AWS and available to anyone at no-cost. The ASDI catalog currently contains over 130 datasets organized into 14 categories including weather observations and forecasts, climate projection data, satellite imagery, hydrological data, air quality data, and ocean forecast data. ASDI is now integrated with AWS Data Exchange giving customers streamlined access across third-party data sources, so you can search the ASDI catalog alongside custom or licensed datasets. Customers can now search and obtain the data assets needed to support sustainability solutions, all in one location.
What to Build
We invite you to use your creativity, intelligence and technical chops to build sustainability solutions utilizing data from ASDI and AWS Data Exchange on Amazon SageMaker Studio Lab or any AWS cloud services to solve one of the UN's Sustainable Development Goals.
Head over to our resources section and check out some of the data sets on ASDI, AWS Data Exchange, and learn about the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
- No Poverty
- Zero Hunger
- Good Health and Well-being
- Quality Education
- Gender Equality
- Clean Water and Sanitation
- Affordable and Clean Energy
- Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- Reduced Inequalities
- Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Responsible Consumption and Production
- Climate Action
- Life Below Water
- Life on Land
- Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
- Partnerships for the Goals
What to Submit in order to be eligible for prizes
- Provide a URL to your GitHub code repository
- Include a video (3-5 minutes) that demonstrates your project in action (hosted on YouTube, Vimeo, or Facebook Video and made public). Video should include an explanation of how the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals inspired your project.
- Identify which ASDI datasets were used on your submission form
$100,000 in prizes
• $10,000 USD
• $20,000 in AWS credits
• $5,000 USD
• $10,000 in AWS credits
• $3,000 USD
• $5,000 in AWS credits
• $1,000 USD
• $3,000 in AWS credits
• $2,000 in AWS credits
• $1,000 in AWS credits
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
Ana Pinheiro Privette
Includes the extent to which the solution can be widely useful to sustainability organizations, easy to use, accessible, etc.
How well was the idea prototyped using AWS cloud services? How well does the solution leverage the ASDI and/or AWS Data Exchange data sets?
Quality of the Idea
How well does this solution align with the UN's Sustainable Development Goals and sustainability concepts? How creative and original is the solution?